Thread: Ladder safety
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Another issue with RV ladders is that the factory ladder is a VERTICAL ladder..now..A couple things about me.

1:I am acrophobic..So I have to have a good reason to get on a ladder
(I have mostly got it under control but it still remains)

2: For 7 years I was a professional ladder monkey.. (I told you I mostly had it under control)

Now back to ladders.. The Vertical laddre is very hard to mount from the top..I seriously do not like them.

A properly sloped ladder (IE:Extension ladder) is way easier to get on from above.

(Also the RV ladder is strained by 200 pounds.. My Step ladder is TESTED to 500 (Double it's rating). I'm over 300 pounds.

How to tell if a step ladder is properly slanted.

Put your toes against the foot of the ladder.

Stand straight

Extend arms straight out and lower till hand either lands on a rund (proper) misses it (too flat)or wrist hits rung (Too steep) Hand should grip round naturally. (fingers is too flat, heal is too steep)

IF using a safety harness (Common on pitched (house/building) roofs) do NOT attach end of safety line to a vehicle.

Story of man wearing harness working on roof..Wife drove to grocery store.. You can figure out the rest.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote