Old 01-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Portable LP heater
Flashlights and batteries
battery powered alarm clock (doesn't need AC power)
a couple more blankets

What else is in your camper that's good for weathering out the winter storms?
In my opinion, the beauty of living in an RV is the redundancy in all of the systems. We have both a ceramic radiant heater and also a propane vent free heater so we have heat regardless of the whether or not we have power. Of course the lights run with or without AC power, and when all else fails the 6500 watt Onan genset will make the lights burn! Of course, solar power would be the ultimate back up system but I'm not going to do that just yet. We also have an electric blanket that is very nice when the weather turns very cold. And if the phones don't work there is always amatuer radio! As long as I can keep the water from freezing we will be in good shape! It was 2 degrees here yesterday!

My wife and I are also storm spotters and we keep an emergency kit in the truck with: a wool blanket, 50 chemical hand warmers, a fire starting kit, a complete first aid kit, road cones, tow strap, jumper cables, 4-way lug wrench, a hydraulic floor jack, reflective vests, high visibility orange rain suits (railroad grade), emergency food rations, flashlight, leather and cloth gloves, hard hats (for hail stones!), and a climbing harness. We are both CPR heartsaver certified. I would really like to have an automated external defibrulator (AED) but they are expensive--about $2500 for a cheap one! I also need a good 12 volt air compressor.
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote