View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #230
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT

We have been full time RVers for almost a month now. It has been a challenging month as the coach we purchased is a 1987 model and we have found numerous necessary repairs:
  • The charger converter and house batteries need to be replaced
  • The furnace is occasionally not working. I have fixed 2 separate issues with it, and now there is a third problem--most likely the circuit board. (I'm going to replace the whole furnace with a much more efficient catalytic heater--a Wave 6 should do nicely)
  • The water heater is not working (needs a new circuit board and/or gas valve) Cold showers have been invigorating
  • The roof leaked during a recent rain/snow storm and I replaced the AC seals and siliconed the windows
  • The coil spring airbags are blown and need to be replaced ($85 and a simple repair job)
  • We need a new awning--Apparently you should not extend the awning in 30mph wind--That was a greenhorn mistake!
The awning we had needed to be replaced anyhow, and I think the RV looks a little more sleek without an awning. Most of the small windows already have small awnings, I think I will put another small awning over the one window that does not have one and call it good enough.

All of these maintenance issues have prevented me from getting around to installing the 144/440 beam and rotator that I want, so I have finally, temporarilly, installed a j-pole to get me by for a little while. In spite of all of these complications, or maybe because of them, my wife and I are still thrilled and excited to be fulltimers. Call me crazy, but this may be one of the best decisions we have ever made.

Thank you all for your advice and kind words of encouragement throughout our adventures this last month.

Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote