Thread: Astronomy
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #20
Dizzy-Dick

The larger DOBs can be dis-assembled to make them easier to handle. I take the main mirror out of mine and pack it separtetly in a carton with styrofoam all around it. Made a sling for the tube. The base, I just man handle. It is a 16" Meade and weighs in at over 200 pounds (shipping weight was 265 lbs.).

When I had my travel trailer, I had a weather proof cap on my pickup truck and every thing fit in there nicely except I put the main mirror on the back seat for an even smoother ride. Snice I have recently switched to a class C motorhome, it may be a problem. I have a tow bar for my Jeep Liberty, and believe that if I put the seats all down, the tube and base will fit in it. Not sure yet. Of course the main mirror will ride on the bed.

If you want to see a picture of my scope (and some of my trips a few years ago) you can go to my website at www.4r-enterprises.com and at the bottom of the first page there is a link to my personal pages. Select it and pan down to where other options are shown. You can find my telescope there. If you want to go further, just pick on some of the trips, etc. By the way, I wrote the html form scratch and don't know what I am doing, so when you pick on a small picture to enlarge it, you must use your browsers BACK button. If you don't you will leave the site.

Happy camping,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCOPE-1.JPG (85.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg SCOPE-2.JPG (108.7 KB, 22 views)
Dizzy-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote