View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If you have a motor home make sure the fuel tank is full of stabilized fuel, This should last you at least 2-4 days on Generator full time
My motor home's generator (7.5kw) runs on propane. My tank holds about 120 pounds (28 gal) of propane, good for about three days of constant heavy generator use (air conditioning in 100 degree WX), or a week or two of light use. When I have shore power, my propane is used only for cooking and for the water heater, and lasts four or five months typically. But I never let it run empty.

Your key light is a good idea. When I was in a stick house I had a very nice Onan JC 12.5kw generator that would run the whole (small) house including A/C, and I designed and built an automatic controller that started it when the mains power went out, and stopped it when it returned. It also exercised the generator once a week. Worked well. That JC would also run on natural gas, but I had no natural gas service at the stick house, so I ran it from a moderate-sized propane tank. Two tanks, actually, with an automatic-changeover regulator from Camping World. That way I could change tanks without stopping the generator. Sold all that when I dumped the stick house. Should have kept the controller and adapted it to the MH. Ah, well.