View Single Post
Old 12-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #4
K7UPJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
Hi, Jerry --

There is room, I think, for difference of opinion on whether repeater QSOs ought to count.

I tend to lean toward the no side, 'cuz I think one of the purposes of such events is to get people to stretch themselves a bit, and repeater QSOs don't seem to require much of a stretch.

On the other hand, I see nothing particularly objectionable in allowing them, either. As long as the rules are the same for everybody, it's still fair, and different rules for different events add variety.

Cheers!
Carl,
I totally agree with NO repeater contacts for awards such as WAS, County Hunters, DXCC, etc. and contests of all types. However, the objectives of NPOTA should not be about competition. The objectives should be to get the maximum exposure for the NPS centennial by getting the most number of NPS sites activated and to encourage the most number of Hams to get and make those activations. Some sites are in urban areas and/or have other restrictions that make operation from even a mobile difficult or impossible. The rationale that I was given from ARRL HQ was not an objection to repeater operations, but that they did not have a way to handle repeater QSOs in LOTW. My counter is that would be easily resolved by just using the repeater frequency in the LOTW record.

But as you rightly pointed out, opinions differ. Everyone is entitled to what they think is correct. Hopefully if there is ever another activity similar to this where maximizing participation and publicity are the most important factors, ARRL will broaden the capability for hams to participate.

Jerry
K7UPJ is offline   Reply With Quote