View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #20
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy N1ORK View Post
Mark,
Each 'HamStick' has a whip that can be tuned for best SWR. Don't know how Chris did it, but I would first tune each one seperately with an MFJ analyzer for the band it was designed for. Then I would put them all on the mount and use the analyzer to verify each band and retune as required. On their own, each HamStick should tune to a low SWR, but as they are mounted together, there is proximity interaction between them and they should be retuned. If you use an automatic or manual external tuner, it may not be as critical. One thing you should remember about Hamstick type antennas, is DO NOT insert the whip more than 3" into the top of the coil section.
Andy - n1ork
You pegged it Andy. I had help from an Elmer friend, KC5HKT, to tune to minimum SWR with each antenna individually. I put the multi-mount together later without an analyzer and I crossed my fingers that it would work! I am using an LDG Z100 autotuner and the SWR on my radio display shows to be good. I should probably try the analyzer again though. While tuning the whips, I cut 1/4" at a time with an angle grinder (my favorite power tool) until minimum SWR was achieved.

K7MEE, I apologize for being slow to respond, but it looks like Andy did a fine job of explaining my work.

Here's another cool hamstick project that I am going to build next. I think it will perform better than what I have and will eliminate the need for a ground plane. It will be RV park friendly too!
http://mysite.verizon.net/cpthaines/id33.html
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote