View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

During the summer I park at one of two RV parks most often.. The other one (Davison, Mi.) the management finally complained about my 100' long wire being strung over park property (Trees and such) So I took it down and a couple days later moved here to St. Clair, MI. Management here is a bit nicer so if I'm going to expierment, I prefer to do it here.

I broke out my flag pole, a few Tent stakes and some lines.

Hooked the long wire to the KAT-1 like I normall do.. Tied an anchor line a few feet out (nylon line to an eye bolt that was already on the back of the house/rig) to take the strain off the KAT (Should have done that long ago) and hauled the Sunsetter Flag Pole out the 100' to the end of the wire plus a bit. Anchored it with 2 guy wires. It is at 3 sections (About 18') and the results....

Well.. I don't know if it is the band conditions or what but i'm hearing things I have not heard since returning to Michigan. Signals are at least 2x better than I"ve heard all month. Folks who I could barely hear.. 5x9 Solid copy.

Next plan is to replace the flag pole (Cause I really do have a flag for it) with some painter's poles

These are 4' screw together extension handles for paint rollers which you can get at any hardware, lumber yeard, paint store, about a buck-a foot. the 4' lengths give me a lot of flexability height wise, and should store easily in my 8' pass throughs. NOw I'd not want these for a fixed install.. but since the longest I ever park in one place is 2 weeks the poles will come down 2x a month or more and if there is any rot or damage 4 bucks replaces the bad section.

I will sink one tent stake where the pole sits, the female end of the pole sits atop that (not screwed on) And two more hold the 2 guys.. Yes, I know you need 3 points to properly guy. 3rd Guy is the antenna itself. Unless I decide to use a weight to keep it taunt. (I only have 2 pounds of weight on the end though so that won't hold the wire taunt)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote