View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 01:18 AM   #12
WA6CDE

Well the question still is around... where to mount the antenna... on the RV, tow vehicle, ground.... where...

Here is my two cents worth... if you put it on the RV... you only have one option.. in the RV... but if you put it on the tow vehicle...then you have not only a mobile station but also can be used when parked. The problem also comes from where to mount the radio in the RV... seems most of them I have seen appear cluttered... and rats nest of wires... but, if mounted in the tow vehicle you have a normal installation.

The second most ideal spot would be on the ground or some sort of supported fixture to hang the antenna on.

Most of the people I have run with put the HF on the front bumper when pulling a 5th wheel or other... seems to work ok... others have a dual location... front, rear or on the RV...

Still others don't put the hf in the RV.. instead they have a hand held or some other small radio... that is perminate in the RV... and only use that for local contacts.

Another item I am seeing now is HF amps... some are the solid state other are just plane old home station amps... they all require some level of vibration dampening... if they are to last... but, remember.. with all that power.. your going to have a saturated field around the antenna... and others campers may not like you blanking out their TV or getting into their CB, radio, stereo... etc... so sticking with 100 watts seems to be the ideal power level... one might consider.
GMAs WA6CDE
WA6CDE is offline   Reply With Quote