View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5DOK View Post
Thanks for the offer, but it looks impressive on my console. Haven't tried to update it. Is the update on their website?
On their web site you can download Magellan Content Manager which runs in your PC and connects to the Internet. With that running, you connect the GPS via a USB cable and play with it a bit.

You didn't mention a model number, but if it includes LM, as in 6230-LM or 2136T-LM, that means "lifetime maps" and map upgrades are free. Otherwise I guess there's a charge for map upgrades. I have avoided buying the ones without LM, so I'm unfamiliar with those upgrades.

The model number is on a little label somewhere on the unit.

Software upgrades (as opposed to map ugrades) are free regardless, I think.

The upgrades are massive files, so expect to tie up the PC for a nonzero time. But if you have two of the same model (I have two of the 2136T-LM), it only downloads once and saves the stuff.

Content Manager also, for example, provides a way to maintain your "address book" on the PC and copy it from one Magellan GPS to another. That's a convenience, especially when you buy a new unit and don't want to put all that stuff in by hand. I have a gazillion Flying J and Walmart locations in mine, for example, from Florida to Oregon to Texas to North Carolina, so that's been very useful to me.