View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default This Morning in Elkhart, Indiana

Note: This was well received on "that other forum" so I thought I'd post it here for ya'll in case you missed it...

This morning was about like any other in Elkhart. A guy kisses his wife and hugs the kids and takes half a cup of coffee with him out to the truck. Turning the key and giving the wipers a few passes to remove the morning dew, he heads in from the suburbs.

A.M. talk radio takes the lonely out of the brief ride and reminds him in many ways his life is much better than many. The sunrise causes the damp fields to glisten in golden light.

He hangs his jacket in his office. Moving down the hall he greets his fellow workers. Gets a fresh cup of coffee. The printer in his office buzzes away and makes a neat stack of the build orders that came in yesterday.

He is joined by the line formen. One has a habit of telling a corny joke. The others groan and shake their heads. The build orders are passed out to the foremen and the workday begins.

But this day is just a little different. Just a bit, and none of the guys really notice. Because there, on top of the stack, is the build order for the 5th wheel we orderd yesterday.

This day has been a decade in the making. Through really good times and layoffs, the passing of family and friends, the kids growing up and moving out.

We've always had a bit of wanderlust, fondness of the outdoors and the desire to settle down for a few days each month in a comfy state park. Good jobs return and the old family farm is sold. Finances turn around. For 10 years dream of owning an RV has been just out of reach. Until now.

Pretty special day in Elkhart. But every day is that way, I suppose. Because that's where peoples dreams are built.

And now they're going to build mine.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote