Thread: Your Rig is???
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 08:01 AM   #8
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I use a TS-2000, in my case mounted in the "Half bath" restroom (Handy small room with a door I can close, good ventilation, Convenient to, well, itself, and in my rig the master power distribution panels are in the hall, in the common wall with said room so power is easy to snag, lots of it)

I hung a KAT-1 Marine grate Automatic Antenna Tuner on the back of the rig (outside) and hook assorted long wires to it's screw. Works well on most bands I work.

The problem is the KAT-1 is expensive, they used to make a different one KAT-3 or 300, forget which, which is electronically identical but NOT a marine grade. It was much lower in cost too.

I've looked at a few competitior's Auto-tuners and kind of wonder if they are compatable (NO, I'll not suggest a brand name)

I'm still working on my portable antenna farm. But 100 ' works well on 80 40 and 20

Nothing, just now, works well on 10

I run VHF/UHF antennas up a flagpole (Sunsetter drive on base, the duals are also right close to said room, just behind it)

I've also used a 35 foot copper mast, fed by the KAT-1

One of the things Ham Radio has in common with Real Estate is the phrase "Location, Location, Location" Sitting here in Detroit, with the antennas about 35 feet from the power overhead power lines, I can work 80 SSB around the state and down into northern Ohio or Indiana most evenings, but true DX is limited to PSK31 antennas consist of an 80 mtr dipole and a 100' long wire on the KAT-1

I've never been able to detect the folks on the FMCA net (40 or 20, forget which)

Sitting in Pender, NE. the Blue Ox campground, Using the copper mast fed by the KAT, I had a good signal into Michigan and north Ohio for the Wolverine SSB net and into Texas for the FMCA net

From Las Vegas, NV, and Quartsite, AZ. I was unable to reach either net.

No surprise with Wolverine, But I'd have thought I could get FMCA from QZ
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote