View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 09:14 PM   #4
electricflyer

Welcome to the forum, I'm Marv KT4W. Like "Radio" I live in the Atlanta metro area where there is probably over 5,000 licensed amateurs in a 50 mile radius. There is only 5 licensed hams in Santee (which has less than 1,000 residents) and in Orangeburg County there are 115 licenses issued. Not a lot of people and obviously not a lot of activity. I didn't find any clubs near where you are so that pretty much puts you on your one while you are located there. I can understand your discouragement.
Yes, as Radio said you may want to invest in a dual band (VHF/UHF) mobile rig with more power matched with a decent antenna. I also have a mag mount Larsen 5/8 dual band antenna on the roof of my truck. With that I can easily reach repeaters over 30 miles away. Since you are in an area with few hams the repeater(s) most likely will have very little activity during the day. As suggested check for any net activity in the area. Here is what I have found. http://www.scssb.net/SC%20Nets.pdf Echolink can be fun, I've talked to people in Germany and other countries using it.
Certainly work on getting an upgrade to your license, you won't regret it. I am a VE and assist with license classes in the local area. As far as an Elmer, do a search on QRZ to find a ham in your local area and go knock on his door and get to know him and pick his brain.
Hang in there, this is a great hobby and will be a lot of fun for you.
Marv
2014 Palomino Puma 25RL - TV 2011 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote