View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Is a "Ground" necessary?

Well most folks do not understand the differece between Ground (Earth ground) Ground (Chassis Ground) and Ground Plane (Something else entierly)

FOr VHF/UHF they make antennas that do not need a ground or ground plane,, But with an aluminum roof.. You can use a standard quater wave or 5/8 wave if you like because the roof will make a perfect GROUND PLANE.. Just make sure you are well connected to it.

For lower bands it depends on the size of the RV.

Also the roof may also be a "Cassis ground" (use ohm-meter to check)
and in worst case some nice heavy braid can connect it to the chasis (use flat braid) and from there to ground...

If using flat braid.. connect it well.. I'd paint the conneciton with one of the "liquid solder:" products (Silver paint, Copper paint) after making a good connection, then Run it down the back and cover with plastic channel, that can be held on with adheasives (Looks better than the wire running down there) and connect to chassis, weld that connection or paint as above after connecting.

Then ground the chassis (I use a 3' long screwdriver with ground strap attached to it ust below the handle as an "Aux Ground" when needed.. Does not seem to make a difference but .. Well I feel better)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote