Thread: Psk31
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Two or three things on typing speed

1: I use the type ahead buffer, as soon as you send me something I can respond to I start typing, as I'm a touch typist I do not look at the keyboard when I'm typing, I can read your message as I type (and read) my reply. (Multitasking, a MUST for a professional police dispatcher)..

2: Do not even think about trying to keep up with a professional police dispatcher with 25 years of typing experience (I can push 100 WPM if I try, PSK is not that fast, I normally dog it at a much slower rate, perhaps 70WPM)

3: Don't worry about it... Those of us who can type faster than PSK sends. understand that we are actually the minority and ... the more you do it, the better you will be at it.

I recall my first couple of days on the job. when the Detroit Electronic Telecommunications Computer System (DETECS) was down for an hour of routine downtime my Sgt. fired up the old ASR 28, typed out the querry, Figs/H/Letters, tore off the tape loaded it in the reader and pushed the bid button... I said "I'll never type that fast"

Guess what... A month later when DETECS was down for it's routine, I was using the ASR 28 and it was 30 minutes before the troopers on the road knew we were using the old green LEIN (Law Enforcement Information Network) Machine. (Someone ran a file that at 100WPM (the speed of the beast) took like 10 minutes to print)

I can now keep up with that machine.

So my advice on typing is to do it, the more you do it , the better you do it, that simple
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote