View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #17
w7wv

OK, I finally got some cooler WX this AM and before the monsoons and the lightning activity that goes with them started I made some experiments.
The rope I used through the ring to pull it up was a standard 1/8" black Dacron line.
At first I tried #12 AWG wire and about 40' of it at that. It dropped the end of the CB whip down quite a bit and the top of the mast I installed also dropped down more than I liked. I suppose if you need that big of wire you could put another line 180° from the RV to the rear to the ground and guy it in the upright position but I don't think it's worth it.
Now you could continue the length of wire here and turn it into an inverted "V" if you should desire.
I had lighter wire around so I put some #18 AWG wire into the setup and it's much lighter. The whip stands up better and the telescoping pole does not drop much either. Using the lighter wire it looks like the RV is in motion with the whip bending back at if in the wind. The telescoping pole bends the other was and looks like a surf rod with a slight pull on it.
I would recomend #18 or 20 AWG wire for this install.
Oh, and I used 1" ratcheting type straps top and bottom on the support tube for lateral support. I hooked the "S" ends to the ladder on either side and wrapped the PVC pipe once with each strap. You couldn't move that pipe if you had to. The ladder takes the vertical weight and the horizontal straps will keep it from ever shifting when the wind stresses the pole above.
Just sharing some ideas.

w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote