View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

To K8ZFJ.. There are, (I think I said this) several different RS-232/USB adapters. IN fact I found one that goes the other way too.

Of the 3 (really 4 but two are the same) I have, ONE is receive only. Using YP-Log the radio won't even respond to a request for the frequency

Another will manage that, (YP Log will diplay the frequency and control some other stuff) but the Kenwood memory manager won't download the radio

And the good one from RT Industries works like a charm... It is the only one I"ve seen that works 100% of the time.

The problem is simply this.. USB power is +5V and Ground. (0volt)

RS-232 uses both negative and positive voltages and greater than 5 volt as well.. So unless the adapter has the proper voltage converters built in it may or may not work.. Receive nearly always works.

I would look to your RS-232 adapter..

In looking over some other things on the net I cam across a company that sells a single USB_dongle type RS-232 adapter that has two cables coming out of it.. I may buy this toy.. (If that is I ever have spare money) one cable goes to the Kenwood RS-232 port to receive from and send commands to the radio

The other goes to the aux connector where you have the rear panel PTT, I hope the plug has audio jacks or pass through.

Alas, I don't have the URL for that one handy
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote