View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #17
N3LYT

I have a 706 MKII G the IC 7200 is light years beyond that, the filtering is top notch despite what some may say it does have roofing filters and they are adjustable the DPS is in the IF not audio there are no menus to stumble through each button is dual purpose and they match the function so it’s touch for function and hold to adjust the function. I had heard reports of poor TX audio but have gotten nothing but good reports on my audio mind you this is brand new perhaps they have addressed it but it is the same old base station mike that my 30 year old Icom has. I was very impressed with the build quality it is substantial the dang little thing weights 12 + pounds not much plastic to be found here. USB connectivity you do need to go to the Icom site to down load the USB drivers but it’s a simple install the system allows you to get RX-TX audio right from the computer great for digital stuff Draw backs, no tuner, in my case not an issue the LDG tuner I have works fine I understand it won’t with the IC7000. The plug in stuff (power, tuner) holds on for dear life good I guess but bad if you want to cart it off some where you will need a small screw driver to release the power cord and a good grip for the tuner connection. It has no FM so if you want to do repeaters on 6 or 10 it ain’t gonna work. The power connection is different the older connector will not fit. The grounding lug is very poorly placed and requires a screw driver. I am not brand conscious have all kinds of radios but I really think it is a hell of a buy for about a grand it’s a real sleeper I ran maybe 25 countries in a day and an evening and I love it. I have a 706 in the truck and had been using it in the camper but it was a bit of a pain to swap it from the truck so the next camping adventure will include the 7200.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote