View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Sure hope you find something soon. My daughter has been looking for 3 months.

Something I learned 2 years ago when searching for a job.....
The "head hunters" or recruiting firms really do not do a good job of promoting your individual resume. They are just trying to fill a job and earn a fee.

Your best leads will come from networking. Contact people you know in your filed and also the ones you know outside of it but are in contact with it.

If you have a networking group in your area, go and meet people.

The newspaper and Monster ads are usually screened by some one in HR that is looking for a few key words in a resume. If the key word are not there, yours is bypassed. You need an inside contact to get your resume in front of the right people.

Best of luck hunting...

Ken
Thanks for the best wishes. This is major layoff number seven, so I've been around the Block a time or two (or seven) The only thing that's changed since the last one are the presence of LinkedIn and Facebook, which makes networking a whole lot easier.

I have a splendid networking groups and an excellent Career coach in JobSeekers of Peachtree City. JobSeeker groups are forming all over the country, some better than others.

And I got my last three jobs by networking because I know that 80 - 90% of openings are not advertised in anyway.

But when a headhunter, who truly is only interested in earning his fee, throws something in your lap you might as well run with it, especially since about 20 people who work there are former colleagues of mine.

We'll see what happens.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote