View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMWN View Post
John, I'm wondering if you tried the marine antenna? I have considered it but can't find any new comments on how one performed. When in a campsite that offers trees I use a long wire butthat not always possible. Tom WD8CSL/mobile/fulltimer
No never tried a Marine antenna.

If I'm in a CG with no trees.. Let me describe some of my alternatives

On the driver's side of the motor home the roof has a single luggage rail (Also called "Goat Rail") I've not yet gotten around to installing the passanger side

The driver's side rails is black, Painted 1/2" copper tub, over 30 feet with a #10 Stranded wire running down inside the false rear cap to the KAT-1 Tuner. Works well on 20, fair on 40 not so good on 10.

The other rail will be 1/2 inch painted PVC... It will contain a 10/15/20 Dipole when it's finished (and possible 6 as well) What's called a "Fan Dipole")

When I had Blue-OX replace my drop receiver adapter to match up with the towed when the MH is loaded... I had 'em weld a "Tong" on it that would accept a ball hitch.

This ball hitch "tong" has not a ball hitck but a Draw-Tite bike rack bolted to it.

There is a Husteler 4BTV base U-Bolted to the upright in front of the bike.

The rest of the 4btv sits in a basement compartment normally but it's a matter of like 3 or 4 pipe clamps to assemble it and drop it over the base section. The KAT-1 can feed it so precise matching is not as important as one might think (I know Husteler says don't use a tuner with it but the KAT is a marine tuner and is mounted right next to that antenna base, NO COAX between them.

That will go all the way down to 80, but of course works better on the higher bands as well (It's only a 40 meter antenna)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote