View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #10
coupevillefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ham View Post

So how prepared are you?
How prepared is your club?
Does any of this sound familiar to you?
Do you think that in an emergency that you will be able to drive right up to the convenience store and buy what you need, or that the road will even be open.
How many of you thinks that a handheld radio is all the more that you need in an emergency?
How many of you do not own a modern transceiver?
I think we are generally more prepared in our area than Mr. Ham. We live on an island about 50 miles north of Seattle. We have an active group preparing for the "big one", defined as a 9.0 earthquake off the coats of Oregon with the possibility/probability of a tsunami.

Our presumptions are that our long, norrow island could easily become three. The power will be certainly out because we are not on a grid. The one bridge and two ferries will be out, at least until they can be inspected. Water and natural gas for our largest town will most likely be out because they come across the bridge. We will most likely loose cell service but possibly may be able to communicate to towers on other islands including Vancouver Island, Canada.

We probably have thee days of supplies in the grocery stores on the island. We are rural and will most likely be a lower priority than Seattle.

So, what have I done? - I completed a CERT class and got my license, now general. I have UHF/VHF radios and am in process of setting up HF. I am accumulating and emergency supplies. I have 3 generators, home propane, motor home, and 2kw portable as well as a couple of battery packs. The bad news is that al of this could experience a sudden elevation drop of 75 feet since I live on a bluff.

How prepared is our club? - Our club has an ARES/Races team. Most have HF, multi-band mobiles as well as HTs. The ARES/Races team meets once a month separately from the regular club meeting. We have a check in every Sunday night on 2m and 10m. We support the 4 emergency radio centers on the island - EOC, hospital, joint command center at one of the fire stations, and the Navy base. The fire station has also set up a mobile radio trailer with our consultation. We participate in a 4 county check in on Tuesdays on UHF, VHF, HF, voice and digital (includes EOC, hospitals, clinics, fire stations, Navy, and other emergency responders).

Mobility? - I two ways out of the neighborhood if they are not covered by trees or power lines. The closest store is 5 miles. Once out, there are a lot of other people in town that can walk to the store and clean it out before I get there. The next closest stores are 15 miles, same story.

Do I thinks that a handheld radio is all I need in an emergency? - NO. That is why I am setting up HF. I have the option of reaching 4 different repeaters on 2m, assuming that the are up. Our likely State emergency coordination center is 300 miles away and would require HF. I would not be calling there unless specifically asked to pass a message.

Do i own a modern transceiver? - I do not have digital yet but it is being considered for sometime in the future.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote