View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
Dizzy-Dick

Just a quick update.

I didn't have time to try out anything elaborate. I was really busy and left March 12 for a 2 1/2 week trip. I have a class-C built on a Ford E450, so the hood is slanted forward. I got a couple of "unter the hood" mounts and stuck a duel band VHF/UHF antenna in the left one and a 20 meter ham stick in the right one.

The UHF/VHF worked great and the fust time I turned the rig on HF, Romania was booming in. Too busy fighting 60 mph cross winds to answer, but it seemed to work as well as can be expected. The forward slant tilts the antennae forward enough to clear the over the cap compartmant.

By the way, I left Cut & Shoot, TX, drove up through north-west TX, through Abilene and Cloves, (not much of anything up that way). Went through Albuquerque and out to Gallup, where we visited a couple days with wife's cousin. Went to Hobart and down through Payson to Fountain Hills, a beautiful trip. Took the Jeep and went from Apache Junction to Totilla Flats, the most beautiful ride you could take. We ended up in the Ghost town of Stanton for a G.P.A.A. & L.D.M.A. common "gold dig". Came home via Interstate 10. Cut off west of San Antonio and went through Fredercksburg, Johnson Cit, Basstrop, and on in to Cut & Shoot. Nice trip. Finished it off by taking my Grandson to the NHRA Top Fuel Drag races at Baytown. He had never seen a car go over 300 mph in the quarter mile. They hit 100 mph in one second. Fantastic!!

Had a great trip other than a couple cold and windy days,
Dizzy-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote