View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I use a Marshall Brass "Extend-a-Stay" the Camping world Stay-a-while seems to be a decent "Knock off" I do recommend getting a quality adapter for reasons I'll explain.. I've seen some that scare me.

The Extend-a-stay contains check valves,, It has an inlet (Mine is POL male fitting) an outlet (POL-Female) a "Quick Disconnect" outlet (Like the Extend-a-flow this looks like the top of a 1 pound throw away grill bottle more in a sec) and finally it has an "inlet" this is a special small (Roughly 1/4 inch threaded) fitting.

All inlets have check valves to insure gas does not flow from either tank to the other tank. This also insures no gas (Well only a tiny amount) escapes when you disconnect the external (luggable) tank. My only complaint is the hose is too short... This is easily fixed by a propane distributor or... Use a short tank.

I believe there is also an excess flow valve in the adapter but can not prove that .. This valve closes should you blow a gas line down "stream" of the valve.

I promised more on the quick disocnnect.
Kit comes with a 10' Extension hose (male and female QD fittings) so you can run your Gas Grill off the main tank.> Works great.. I also got a 2nd 10 foot hose cause 10' is not always.. Enough.

On the scary ones

I've seen some that were nothing more than a T-fitting with a manual valve in the line or sometimes not even that.. You disconnect the external tank w/o turning off both tanks and gas jets out.. That simple, Very dangerous....

Where as the Extend-a-stay IMPROVES safety.. The el-cheapo, was dangerous.

I'm very happy with my Extend-a-stay.. have used it a few times in the "Emergency out of gas" mode... Normally use it to fire the external Coleman Grill though.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote