View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
W5DOK
Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ5N View Post
Hello the name here is Chris and am new on this site as well as a new MH owner. I have been reading all I can about antennas and motorhomes and wonder how you mounted your screwdriver. I have a class A toyhauler so the back is a ramp that allows me to pull the Harley into the garage, so I do not have a ladder there except when I am climbing up top.
I spoke to the guy from Tarneel while at HamCom in Plano a couple of weeks ago and he suggested the 200 even though I do not run any power, he stated it would perform better than the smaller antenna. I might be able to mount one of the mounts on the top part of the ladder that lays down, but I was also thinking about using a tripod. As I said new to MH but have been a ham for over 30 yrs, any suggestions would be appreciatd.

Thanks,
Chris
NJ5N
Hi Chris. Welcome aboard. Lots of good folks on here and a couple of old grouches. I have my Tarheel mounted on a 2 section telescoping pole. I took an antenna pole, cut both ends off so it would fit in my basement and left 2 telescoping sections. I have it attached to my rear ladder on the MH, but you can set it up almost anywhere that you you can hold it upright. Maybe the top latch on your ramp. I ran a twisted ground from the antenna base to the MH frame for a ground plane. Has worked perfectly in the past, but this year, no 40m. I'm is South Fork, CO and usually I can talk back to my nets in TX with no problem. Got some work to do to get 40m working. The rv park that I'm in (River Bend RV Resort) is Ham friendly, so I'll probably get some supervision when I start working on it.
Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote