View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 10:57 PM   #11
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke0me View Post
Well rust my hubcaps.
For some reason I thought Duesenburg was a German car.

Guess my "youth" is showing.

I will always remember the T-bird with the sequential blinking turn signals , about 1957-1960 I think, but I could be off on that.
Way off. Sequential turn signals were first introduced on Thunderbird in 1965.

Classic Thunderbirds, 1955-1957, didn't have turn signals at all. Even seat-belts weren't offered until 1956. In 1958, Thunderbird became a four- or five-place vehicle. This was a great tragedy. 1958 and later are Vintage Thunderbirds to distinguish them from the much cooler two-place 1955-1957 Classic Thunderbirds.

In 1994, James Kevin Bryan ran a red light in Dallas, destroying my beautiful yellow 1955 Thunderbird. He tried to claim it was my fault. Fortunately (1) there was a witness, and (2) the swine had excellent insurance. USAA paid me his policy limit, about 10% more than the probable value of the T-Bird at the time. Here's a pic of my li'l Tweety (all cars need names) taken in my driveway and modified (by me) with a nice background.

After USAA paid, WI5G and I went to the huge Pate car swap-meet in Arlington TX, or maybe it was Grand Prairie, I with a pocketful of cash, and I nearly bought a very nice 1937 Packard formal limousine. Sometimes I kick myself for not buying it, but it was only an eight-cylinder Packard and I wanted a twelve. He asked $18,000 which was considerably less than the cash in my pocket at the time. Today that wouldn't buy a wreck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TWEETY3.jpg (9.8 KB, 1 views)