View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
WD8QBQ

Jim, if you would post a picture of what you have you will get a more accurate reply.

I am one and there are many that don't recommend valve extensions, the reason being that they are prone to catastrophic failure if ignored and not checked often. (blow out, when worn due to flexing)
That said I use two, one on each drive inner wheel. Mine are solid brass and I slip a piece of fuel hose over them to protect from wear. They also go through a special bushing available from the wheel manufacturer. (aluminum wheels)
A good habit is to check tire pressure before the days journey and look at the wheels/tires with a walk around when stopping during the day.
I also have an inexpensive infrared pistol thermometer with which to scan the wheel hubs and tires periodically. (it also comes in handy to check other components and air conditioning output vs input air temp)

Back to the valve stems if you have bent metal truck type stems they can often be turned to point a different direction without dismounting the tire. The stem is constructed to seal with an o-ring in a recess on the inside of the wheel, it is supposed to be tight, but not too tight. Often it can be carefully turned (clockwise) to the desired direction without access to the inside of the wheel.

I will look through my pictures and post if I have any that pertain.

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote