Thread: Hughes Net
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

The nation wide Sprint and Verizon plans are also interesting, AT&T and T-Mobile also have plans, Different speeds, and different coverage maps, however like N7OQ I park in places where the cell phones don't work that well. The park manager insists that the only way the park will get Wi-Fi is over his dead body (Can be arranged by his boss in a manner of speaking, or as Donald Trump would say "You're Fired") But I had my Hughes Tripod up and running in 20 minutes or less.

Now the guy next to me, He and a lovely Alpha See-Ya with a Datastorm mount. He could not connect (One lonely tree, just a little thing, in EXACTLY the wrong spot) but with my Tripod... No problem. (We shared my link while I was there)

The one negative on Hughes is that some services Do not work, or at least did not work

Vonage VoIP used to work, but it has been blocked, I do not know if this was intentional or accidental (Sometimes when you upgrade something you break something else) Skype still works though and I'm told intel-phone works (Contact me for Intel-phone, I market it and can point you to a web page)

At one time TiVo would not update via Hughes, Neither would ReplayTV. Though there was a work-around for Replay (I have the work-around but have yet to try it) I'm told TiVo now updates via Hughes... I'm going to test Replay in a couple of months.

Now: these "Works/don't" are specific to Hughes. I do not know about Starband as I have no input from Starband users on these issues. I will likely test Replay on a Starband unit, just for the heck of it, but not till Jan 2009 at the earliest, possibly later

All in all, I'm very pleased with Hughes when I'm on the road, It works, most everywhere it works.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote