Thread: QRZ.COM Forum
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #17
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5BET View Post
I found a thread on QRZ and wanted to ask the poster a question. I signed up for a username and password, pm'ed the guy, got a response (very helpful).

I then went on and started looking around at other posts and found that a lot of responses to posts were pretty abrasive. I thought to myself that I would be hard pressed to post there because I am new to the hobby and really don't want to get abuse for asking what some may consider a "stupid" question.
Only one person asks stupid questions on this forum Galen, ME !!! No questions are stupid. I am known to overlook the obvious though.

Concerning the code. No intent to offend anyone, I do regret the FCC did away with the requirement. It is a great mode. It's probably my favorite. Nothing like making that contact, sitting back and waiting to see where the guy is located. Internet and computers in the shack have taken a lot of that fun out of the game though. It really is a good mode. It doesn't require much power and with the new digital filters in receivers you can work some low powered stations under difficult circumstances. Recently on one of the ssb traffic nets I check into, the guys were unable to pass a piece of traffic via voice but succeeded when they changed to cw. I don't know of a particular link, but I'm sure there are some sites on the WWW that assist in learning the characters. If you have the time, you will not regret it.