Thread: Stupid Drivers
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

#4 Turning right into any lane but the right lane (unless there are two right-turn lanes)

#5 Turning left into any lane but the left lane (unless there or two left-turn lanes). Most drivers start left turns too soon, at the edge of the intersection instead of where they should (the edge of the lane they're turning into). Starting too soon makes it very difficult to end up in the correct lane.

#6 Not following the painted lines, if present, when turning left, especially when here are two left-turn lanes (this error is almost universal in Tallahassee)

#7 Tailgating

#8 Driving around with high beams

#9 Not having any clue about the meaning of the widest painted line across the road at an intersection

All of these are common in Tallahassee, a college town with many very inexperienced drivers (college children).

It's symptomatic of the obvious fact that most humans are somewhat mindless. More than half have IQs below 100. If the IQ curve were a perfect Gaussian distribution -- bell curve, that is -- then it would be exactly half; but there is a fairly large secondary peak at about IQ 30 to 35, mostly victims of congenital retardation. Anyway, more than half are below 100, and 100 is about the level at which people can learn to pump gas pretty well, or dig ditches, but can only just barely be taught to sack groceries. And they'll still put the canned soup on top of the eggs and bread.