View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm
Default Multi Band Verticles

I use, among other antennas, a Hustler 4BTV on my motorhome. The antenna is mounted to a Draw Tight bicycle carrier, it does require radials and in a manner of speaking I use one (the frame of the coach) The antenna is fed by a KAT-1 Automatic tuner (I know they say don't use a tuner but in this case the tuner is "marine grade" and is mounted at the base of the antenna)

Results.. On 80, spotty, It has worked about 1/2 as well as my 100' long wire (Fed by the same tuner) but not always... On 40.. Well, worked just fine last night I have no porblem with multi-band verticles

However if it's end loaded, as that one is (I left the capacity hat off on the 4BTV replacing it with base loading via the KAT-1) storage can be an issue... However someone recently posted or published (QST I think) an article on modifying an antenna for portable use. Looked interesting,, The capacity hat "Fingers" were bent 90 degrees and are rotated either "Flat" for operation or parallel to the mast for storage.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote