View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Default Total solar eclipse -- 21 Aug 2017

On 21 Aug 2017 -- 13 months from now -- there will be a solar eclipse visible as a partial eclipse in all of North America.

On a path from (approximately) Salem OR to just north of Charleston SC it will be visible as a total solar eclipse -- the last one in North America in my expected lifetime.

I have friends in the Charleston area, where totality will occur at about 14:50 EDT and last about two minutes. I'm already planning to go there, or somewhere, and watch it.

All my life -- that's a long time -- I have wanted to see a total solar eclipse. In the 1960s I was thwarted by cloud cover in Florida, but I hope for better luck this time. So now it's on my Bucket List.

I'm already planning. I've ordered filters to go over the objective lenses of my excellent binoculars. I've ordered other filters for direct viewing, enough of them to equip a small army of amateur observers. No one should allow his friends to miss so rare and so wondrous an event.

Anyone else on ORR making plans for 21 Aug 2017? Maybe we could even have an ORR Eclipse Party or such. We'd make Wade do the cooking.