View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Hi, Scott

Yes, the tinting layers in the glass (or on it, sometimes) can preclude through-glass antennas. I've run into that too, on occasion; but one time I thought that was it but when I put my RigExpert Analyzer (AA230 Pro) on it, it was nice and flat, but at 123 MHz! It wasn't mounted on my li'l airplane (1946 Commonwealth Skyranger), so I ground off 1/4 inch at a time until it got near, then 1/8 till it was in the 2M band. Then it worked well for a decade or more.

I think you'll like the TM-281A. It's handy to operate, way sufficient in power, rugged and reliable as a pickaxe, and its gazillion memories can be loaded from a PC. That's handy if you've got more than one (I have six or seven, plus a couple TM-271A which is basically interchangeable with TM-281A and loads with the same software and cable). No, I don't have six or seven vehicles; it's just that I don't have much sense either.

There's one in the motor home, one in the Toyota, one on my little electric scooter, and several in APRS trackers. Great radio, and dirt cheap.