View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I keep hearing how the new switching converters make a lot of noise.

Damon installed a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with wizard on this house back in 2005 when they bult it. I have often done tests with my TS-2000 which is hooked to the main 12 volt distribution panel which is a bit closer to the PDI 9180 than it is the Interstate U-2200s

I do not hear any noise from the 9180.

Others have said they are very noisy. I can not confirm.

The converter secton of my prosine also does not show up on the TS-2000 (nor does the inverter) though usually when I turn on the Prosine's converter the TS-2000 notices.. big time.. Here is why.

From time to time, usually around 3-3:30 Am, with the radio acting very strange, I figure out the problme is I've snagged the cord on the 9180 and pulled the plug out of the socket (it's a plug in model) and the batteries are getting critically low.

I flip the converter switch on the Prosine panel, enabling it, and .. Everything suddenly works PROPERLY. That is a very good notice.

I have, however, heard other rigs, Refrigerators (Gordon West has a MP3 of a fridge he can play for you, He played it on Ham Nation (http://twit.tv.hn)

and many other noise sources.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote