View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
w7wv

You can use a power supply if you wish but why? Why use up any of your 30 amp supply in the 5th wheel?
If I were you I would just wire the rig to the house batteries in the trailer and not worry about the additional expense of the power supply.
I have done the same with my rig in my MH.
Your IC-746 only draws about 12-14 amps on peak transmit in the SSB mode. I had one and ran it mobile for some time in my truck. It will draw more if you operate CW of course.
Not knowing you habits I find that I boon dock on occasion and need the DC capability for the radio. If you have a genset you can recharge your house batteries at the same time for the radio.
As this is your first RV you may find some places that boon docking without power and such available is to your liking. For example with our past RVs we have found many places to fish that are not organized camp grounds of course with no power available. With an AC supply only you would have to run a genset to use your radio. And for many gensets are not an option at many times as their use is restricted in many areas during some time slots to avoid the noise.
Just an idea.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote