View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #25
w7wv

Oh, I misread (won't be the first time either) you would still have to have the radials for it.
At one time while I was renting property I had a High Sierra model 1500 on the roof. High Sierra recommended 8 each 10 foot radials from the base of the antenna to the roof. Even if it was elevated the radials must still come from the antenna. If I remember right they said it would be better if the radials were not at a downward angle more than required too.
They actually told me that the antenna would work better lower to the ground than it would high on a mast.
Check your manual, I would bet that for non mobile ops they tell you the same thing they told me on the phone and that's the 8 each 10' radials.
I am not sure about the Sidekick but they also had me remove a coil on the base of the antenna at the time.
I am thinking that was for 80 meters????
You might want to call them on the phone. They are very helpful.
Personally I thought the antenna install was much better and effective on my truck than in ever was on the roof but when it's all you can have you take what you can get if you know what I mean.
I am not sure about adding extra wire to the screwdriver itself. Why not? Experiment! I know on the. 1500/1800 series you can add or delete the whip for certain freqs.
I am thinking that the long wire AH-4 tuner has a little more tuning capability than the screwdriver but you never know.
I thought about another screwdriver for the RV but this setup was half the cost, less maintenance overall and I think better suits my needs at this time.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote