View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 06:27 AM   #11
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm
Default K&N and Dirt

I keep hearing that the K&N passes more dirt and grit.. I don't know..

I do know this

My brother races dirt bikes on occasion.. Now these bikes are operated under just about the dirtiest conditions you can imagine, the riders eat a lot of dirt.

Most all of 'em run K&N filters (Per George) and of course they often tear down the engines since they work the .... you know... out of them.

And there is NO sign of dirt or grit getting past the K&N

I run a K&N on my towed (Way less expensive if I have to replace the engine plus the sensor that is senistive to oil on my Workhorse is located in a different location and hooked up in a different manner and the odds of it getting oil coated if I over-oil the K&N are precisely zero.

And I've towed that thing through the desert. I had a quarter inch of grit on everything in the engine compartment, When I pulled the cover the intake was full of grit.. ALL ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE FILTER.. No evidence of grit penetrating the filter at all.

So, pardon me if I don't believe the dirt warnings.

now the oil covered intake sensor..... I've never seen that either but as I said the design of the intake on my towed.. I won't. the sensor it mounted differently LOTS differently
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote