View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #252
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT

Lows in the high teens tonight and light accumulations of snow are expected. The RV park is filling up as drivers are coming in off of the road. I am looking forward to warmer weather and spring thunderstorms! We are attending our annual SKYWARN certification class at the beginning of February, and I am already getting excited.

As soon as the government returns a small portion of the funds they have skimmed from my till all year, I will have my first HF radio! I've struck a deal with a local elmer friend for an Icom 718 and an LDG Z100 auto-tuner for $400. I have already ordered a full set of MFJ HF Sticks (minus 30 & 60 meters) and I have about 200' of RG-213. Now I just need to decide how to mount them. I live a mile from 5-6 truck stops and 2 CB shops, so I have a lot of options for hamstick mounts! I am strongly considering bolting the mount to a steel rib in the dead-center of the fiberglass roof. I think as long as I seal things up well, it will be OK on my 1987 Class A.

I am looking forward to working some of you on HF real soon!
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote