View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #16
W5DOK
Old Member

Congratulations on the new rig. You're going to have a blast rigging it and using it. I use a Tarheel 200 screwdriver mounted to the rear ladder on the coach and a Tarheel Junior on the toad. They make a mount that will connect to your trailer hitch on the Jeep. My Icom 736 and IC V8000 sit on the deck in front of the co-pilot chair. I likes my comfort. My screwdriver is mounted on the ladder so that the whip is above the roofline and I remove it while travelling. I have a Larsen thru-glass for the 2 meter while travelling. Works as well as any small 2 meter portable antenna for me. If I am going to be in one place for a couple of months, I have a Comet CHA 250B that I put up on a short telescoping pole that is also attached to the rear ladder. All of my stuff (radios and antennas) are grounded to the frame of the coach with 1 inch flat braid. Makes an excellent ground plane.
A word about brakes on the toad. Braking systems are too inexpensive to risk financial disaster if you are involved in an accident without them. Plus, they really do make a difference in stopping distance, even on a lightweight toad, like a Jeep.
Enjoy the new rig and maybe we'll see you out here on the road.

Doc
W5DOK
07 Dip
10 Frontier
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote