View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default Could have been worse

In fact, much worse.

Was putting some more stuff in the 5'er this afternoon. Rounded up the laundry basket and was putting it in the shower, when I noticed a brown streak running down the shower surround wall, coming out of the surround at one of those screw covers.

"Hmmm, that wasn't there just a few days ago...oh, crap, I've got water coming in somewhere" and then I looked up at the shower skylight. There was enough water in there to create a small eco system. CRAP!

Went rampaging through the garage looking for half a roll of eterna-bond tape. Never found it. Found some good quality clear silicone sealant. Crawled up onto the roof with that.

Found a crack in the exterior bubble of the skylight. The caulk around the skylight stands about 1/4" high, which allows water to pool around the skylight and drain, you guessed it, into the skylight, the water becoming trapped between the inner and outer layers of the skylight. Sealed the crack and ran an extra bead around the existing caulk.

Removed the inside bubble and got quite wet. Dried out everything with a towel. Left the inside bubble off so it can dry out in there and sealed the crack from the inside as well. Then cleaned up the mess in the shower.

And recalled the shower was in A-1 clean shape because I had cleaned it just last weekend. So it hadn't been leaking long. Doesn't appear to be any permanent damage.

I assume the skylight got cracked during one of the hail storms we have had recently. I rather suspect the crack will continue to grow. But for now the damage had been curtailed.

Yeah, things could have been worse. If we hadn't planned this trip I would have no reason to be out there with my head in the shower. And this could have gone on a long, long time.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote