View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Default What do you do for internet in RV parks?

Heighdy --

Internet (WiFi) access seems a chronic problem in RV parks, and to me it's the greatest drawback of full-time RVing.

I haven't stayed in a lot of RV parks, so my experience is limited; but internet access seems to vary from indifferent to wretched. Right now I'm in Bee's RV Resort in Clermont FL. Bee's is generally pretty pleasant, but WiFi is supplied by a jack-leg outfit called Nationwide Wireless for $28 a month, and is the world's worst, not worth 28 cents. Typical time to load a page, say on eBay or on ORR, is from five minutes to an hour. It took me over 20 minutes to get to the page on which I'm typing right now.

At RV Park of Portland (Oregon), which no longer exists, I had WiFi from an outfit called Tengo Internet, which I think supplies Internet access in many RV parks nationwide. It was adequate, but definitely not flash-bang. Its chief asset was that it worked, almost always, and was reasonably consistent. I wish I had it here.

I have heard talk of things like "Clear" and a few others. I know precisely nothing about these. Do some people get Internet access (for their desktop PCs) through a cell phone, somehow? How does that work? How well does it work?

Is there a workable way to get Internet in an RV wherever you happen to be, at sustainable cost? Surely someone knows of something. Speak!