View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 06:31 PM   #14
N7OQ

It was fun making a QSO across the US from my trailer. What made this happen was the fact that Radio has a great antenna system. It was rough copy at times but when I had a break I went out side and turned my Buddipole toward and then I was hearing radio much better.

I did run into some problems as usual, I for got to bring my 10 gauge zip cord I was going to use to get power from the converter so had to come up with another idea. What I did was cut 2 pieces of RG8X coax connect the shield to the center conductor add a red and black powerpole to one end and connect the other end to a fused terminal on the converter and the other one to the ground buss. But did get it to work. It also took me some time to get the Buddipole to a good swr I have replaced the stock adjustable whip with the longer ones so the coil taps are different but finally got a flat 1.1 to 1.5 across the band the longer whips really increase the band width.

While I was talking to Wade (radio) my radio started shut down, the problem is seperation cable I was using, when I'm close to the antenna and using the cable it will shut down. I put on a fairrite clamp on choke and now it works OK now. My IC706mkiig is so sensitive to RF. I also get noise from the converter so I will have to install some chokes and caps on it but it is not real bad and it comes and goes it is inly bad when it is floating the battery when I put a load on it the noise will go away.

I will try to get a picture of the antenna tomorrow and post it. I will also be on all day tomorrow so if anyone wants to try to make a QSO let me know. I will listen for KE5BI tonight but don't have 80 meters here. Anyway thanks for the QSO Wade.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote