Thread: Joshua Tree NP
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
radiow6lar

Default Joshua Tree NP

Just got back from a 5 day stay at Joshua Tree NP. The WX was great for the first three days but the wind kicked up on the forth day. But all was beautiful and VERY quiet. DW and I did a bit of hikiing and just sitting around doing much of nothing. A good break form the work week.

Its the first time we have done more than two days dry camping in our Aljo. Had fairly low night time temperatures down into the high 30's. I let the DW choose how much heater she wanted to run (and that is a LOT!). As the newer rigs today run a fan assisted heating system there is a bit of current drain on the battery system over night. I have roof solar and two 150ah batteries so it worked without a hitch.

The water tank is not really big at about 25 gal. So we were trying to be conservitive. We ran the tank dry at the start of the fourth day. That includes a quick shower each day and only minor dish washing as we used paper and plastic. I carry one of those water bladders, kinda like a mini water bed and put it in the back bed of my TV with 40 gal reserve water before we left home. I refilled the TT tank and still have some water left over in the bladder.

We enjoyed the park. Also made a hike to Ryan Mountain top. The trailhead sign says it 1.5 miles but its at least 2 or a little more if its an inch.
The elivation change is 1000ft. I carry an altimeter and that was right on.
The DW and I each have a bad knee. So the trip up was ok but down was a killer as the trail has a lot of rock steps. The wind was really bad for the top 2/3 of the trail. So today we are both back to work and both limping just a little.

If you've never been there give it a try sometime. But do it before the summer gets here.
2004 F-150 XL Supercab HD
2006 Aljo 225LT, Solar Powered
Me: 43 1/2 years GTE (Verizon)
Wife: RN and 45 years putting up with Me!

CQ CQ CQ Ain't life Grand!
radiow6lar is offline   Reply With Quote