View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
w7wv

Default Hi Guys and Gals

New here, Ken, W7WV. If you dare you can take a look at the full bio and pix on www.qrz.com but look at your own risk.
Got started with ham radio fooling around with military gear in the Army 1966-72. And yes we did some boot legging with other military ops back when and hams. ASA really disliked us at the time. Oh well it gave them something to do.
I was an O5B which meant 15 WPM encrypted to pass the course as a radio operator. I was also an instructor at Fort Huachuca, AZ in 1967-8. I have run into many that went through my courses on the PRC-25, the VRC 43-49 family of radio and the old GRC-19.
Like me, many became hams after their service time.
After 6 in the Army I needed some entertainment in my life so I went to work for the Navy and went through an electronics apprenticeship.
To make a long story short the base closed and I took early retirement. It was either that or King's Bay. Sorry, I went there once on a radar repair. One time too many.
Going to full time with the MH and see what we have missed in this country. My station at present is down and I have to create HF on the road in the MH.
If anyone has ideas on antennas and solutions for MH installs I am looking for advice if you have a success story.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote