View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Mr. Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmax View Post
Andy! I have a Amp that I retrieved from a junk pile is a 10 amp in and 600 out is supposed to be 3 to 30 MHz. Some one tried to put new transistors in . What a mess. just put on shelf for future use. might be for camper. but will have to install new finals. I think they are used by Chicken Band & might be dirty. Had a guy that lived a couple of houses from me that used to get me jumped on by other neighbors He was running a 500 watt transistor amp with a Starduster and splattering the whole neighborhood. I got my Ten Tec Omni-C back from Ten Tec Friday. Was a gift from a friend. cost to repair was $225.37 plus shipping. He bought in a yard sale for $10 . They didn't come with 12 & 17 but I had them added. One of these days I might get on HF. as I passed my General & Extra this year. Have a Inverted "V" up for 1.6 - 117' each side but need a tuner. Have been listening but have too much standing wave to talk.
Back in the day, the State Police here had radios that would operate on 11 meters. It allowed them to talk to the truck drivers, listen to the truck drivers and allowed them to pull them over via radio when they wanted to do a mechanical inspection or look at their log books.

Maybe the radio in the car only had a couple of watts and they needed more power. I don't know, since it wouldn't be any more legal for them to operate 11 meters with more then 3 watts AM then it would be for you or me.

Some of the old low band fire and sheriffs radios were down in the 37 MHz range. Those radios worked great for talking over long distances without a repeater.

I was just talking to a guy yesterday that was telling me about how their group - Breezeshooters amateur radio club, used Starduster antenna's to talk ground wave on Monday nights for their club net. Since ground wave was only about 30 miles - I can't hear them from my location. I guess they were a good antenna for what they were, for talking ground wave...

Instead of using the antenna you presently have Max, why don't you buy a 160 meter off-center fed dipole antenna. That would get you everything from 440 mhz to 160 meters, with the exception of 12, 15, 17, 30 and 60 meters - without a antenna tuner!
Antenna tuners do not tune the antenna to resonance, they just trick the radio into thinking that the antenna they are feeding into is resonant. It keeps the radio from folding back its transmit power.
The transmit power is converted into heat, which is adsorbed by the tuner and the coax..
Not a real good way to transmit efficiently for any distance unless the band is wide open...
Mr. Ham is offline   Reply With Quote