View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #7
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD2NEI Steve View Post
Thank you all for your responses :-) I have been studying them, and came up with this strategy:
- get my General License (I am studying now)
- get Yaesu FT857D for HF (100w) and UHF/VHF (50w). This should allow me to get out further to repeaters, and connect via HF when there are no repeaters
- get 2 Lawson antennas for 2m communications for traveling, 1 for RV window, 1 for Honda Fit car window or roof
- use ATAS 120 antenna and Lithium battery for stationary HF, UHF/VHF communications

What do you think?
That works. At a 100 watts you are sucking up a great deal of battery power figure on a good 20 amps so you will need a battery with a lot of amp hours if you expect to stay on the air very long and a way to recharge it.
A lot depends on the repeater and it's location. I can use the repeater on top of Mt Washington from my house with a hand held and 1/2 watt it is over 30 miles away. I can use our repeater in Conway NH with a couple of watts it's 15 miles away. Location location location, can you hear a squelch tail from the repeater or an ID? if you can't your not making it, either too far or a wrong PL.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote