Thread: Converter guts
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

It has now been six months since I replaced the insides of my converter.

With the original Magnetek converter, the house batteries were continually overcharged (cooked!) and I had to add water at least once a month. Despite this, the batteries were seldom in a fully charged state when I needed them, and when dry-camping I seldom had the longevity I thought the batteries ought to provide. The Magnetek had a really primitive charger.

The Progressive Dynamics converter, on the other hand, has always kept the house batteries fully charged, but never overcharged. I've never really run out of house-battery power when dry-camping. Though I check the batteries regularly, today is the first time I've ever added water since I replaced the Magnetek with the Progressive Dynamics. Even so, the batteries weren't in desperate need; they were just a little low.

Really glad I installed the PD! That's one smart battery maintainer. I think it'll pay for itself many times over with greatly increased battery life. One set of replacement batteries would cost much more* than the PD converter did.

* Well, more, anyway.