View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #13
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3LYT View Post
Yeah there are a lot of variables with the dish setup but it sure was a huge difference in the signal. The Linksys has two antennas so it was a bit hard to get both in the focal point but I sure can see where a dish would make a great WiFi antenna and it does not have to be huge. I think if I really wanted it to work a single antenna and a weather proof box might be a workable setup. Some of the Linksys wireless used Linux software and DDwrite programming they could easily be used as client's
The Linksys routers, typically WRT54G or WRT54GS but also many others, work perfectly well with one antenna (use a dummy load on the other antenna connector because at startup it may try to transmit through each antenna). DD-WRT firmware also works exceedingly well and can be configured as a client, a repeater, a client bridge, a repeater bridge, or any of several other ways, and it's free. By the way, the DD in DD-WRT is for the city of Dresden, Germany, where DD-WRT was developed; and the WRT stands for Wireless Router and comes from the model numbers of Linksys wireless routers. DD-WRT was originally developed for the WRT54G series of routers.