View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
Richard Stouffer

When I upgraded to general I look very seriously at the Icom 756 Pro III, I had the 706 MKII at the time. The price was a bit high, but the performance seemed top of the line. Then I read a product reveiw in, I think, the April 2005 QST of the Flex-Radio SDR-1000. I did some additonal research and decided that was the rig for my base station. I've had that unit for a little over two years and I've since moved on to the Flex-Radio SDR-5000A. SDR is not for everyone, especially if you don't like messing around with computers. I wouldn't use it for a mobile unit and, although I've done it, it isn't my first choice a station in the RV.

If you want to try a more economical approach, there are used Icom 706 MKII's out there for sale because a lot of the early adapters have upgraded to the Icom 7000. I still have both the 706 and the 7000 and wouldn't part with either one. They are great mobiles and decent base stations. Although the 7000 has some really neat features over the 706, I think they each perform equally well. Check eBay of used 706's.

73's
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote