View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
w5olm

Wade, Thanks for the tribute to the "Old Soldiers". Kinda brought tears to this old Marines eyes. My mothers only two brothers died in battles of WWII.
As a fresh new graduate from college, this old guy had no desire to fight for his country.
With prompting from the selective service though, I joined the U. S. Marines, and saw my own battles in Viet Nam. I now look back and can truthfully say that the Marine Corp took a boy and made a man out of him. Luckly, I did not earn a purple heart, and can only tribute that to our heavenly father.
Service in the Marine Corp launched me into a totally different career than afforded me being a college graduate. Instead of teaching high school, my career took me into federal government service as an electronic Inspector for a few years, then as an Aircraft Inspector for the remainder of my 36 years as a federal employee.
Anyway, thanks again for the tribute to the "old soldiers" in your family. They definately earned respect and the privilage of saluting the flag. I do have to agree with Dan about the proper way to salute the flag also.
w5olm is offline   Reply With Quote