View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #32
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I have been looking at the Good Sam enhanced GPS by Rand McNally vs the Magellan RV systems.

Anybody actually have hands on road miles with one of these? All the campgrounds and POI's are nice but I'm really more interested in low bridges, steep hills and fuel stops I can't get out of once I'm in there.

Your experiences?
Last week I went from my home in Lapeer County Michigan to Mason Michigan, I had the GPS set for "Most Use Of Freeways" and It was going to spyral me in to my destination. The longest possible route as it turned out. I then set it for the shortest route and it was better, but still it made obvious errors.

We must remember they are but a tool, better than trying to drive and look at a roadmap but still a tool.

When I first get my gps', I will let it route me somewhere like home or some other short trip that I am familiar with then I will deliberately drive off route to learn how it re-routes me. The GPS will try to send you back to your original route for a long time until it has no other option but to re route you.

Also it never hurts to look at a real road map to familiarize yourself to a new route so as you drive you will have a mental picture of roughly where your going.

By the way mine is named Lola, just as in the movie RV.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote